Thursday, August 25, 2011

Vegan/Gluten Free Black Bean Burgers!

Hello, friends!


I just spent the last few glorious days cooking 3 square meals a day for a group of AMAZING women on a yoga retreat! I have so many details and photos to share with you, but give me a few days to get everything (thoughts included) in order so I can share with you properly :) Be ready for salivating taste buds, and a strong desire to want to organize your very own private yoga retreat!


In the meantime, I wanted to share something else with you. It's my latest creation: vegan/GF black bean burgers!


There is this amazing restaurant called John's Garden in Malibu where I sometimes go for lunch. It's actually less a restaurant and more a convenience store that happens to have a tiny, inconspicuous kitchen where some of the most tasty things come out of. This includes a black bean burger.


I know, it doesn't sound tasty, but one day, I thought, "what the hell?" and tried one. Oh. My. God.


On a honey oat bun sat my beautiful burger, topped with spicy mayo, avocado, tomatoes and alfalfa sprouts. YUM!


I, of course, wanted to see if I could make one myself. So I scoured the internet, found a few recipes, put them together and made my very own burger for you to try. 


Enjoy!


Lauren's Vegan Gluten Free Black Bean Burgers


2 cans black beans (rinsed and drained)
2 carrots, grated
½ red pepper, minced
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
1/2 cup dry rolled oats GLUTEN FREE
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp seasoning salt (or onion or garlic powder)
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (or paprika)
1 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp black pepper

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. 
Blend the oats and sunflower seeds in a food processor and grind until coarsely chopped (they will still be a little chunky).  
Grate the carrots, and then add to your mixture in the food processor.  Add 3/4 of the beans, all spices, and the olive oil.  Mix it together.
Put the mixture into a bowl and then add the rest of the beans. Mix it together.  
With wet hands, form the mixture into 8 small patties.  Place them on a non-stick baking sheet and bake at 300 degrees for 40 minutes, flipping them over after 20 minutes.
Serve on a vegan/gf bun, or go bunless, like I did! I topped mine with homemade babaganoush and avocado, and paired it with a mixed green salad. Yummy!!!












Lauren
xxx

1 comment:

  1. I was missing your yummy yoga retreat food, so came to your blog for inspiration. I made these tonight and they are DELICIOUS!! thank you!!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete